There is a terribly dangerous trend in television today. It seems as if daily we are being bombarded by television programs which delve into the supernatural and paranormal. The saddest part of this trend is that those who are engaging in such activities are extremely naive and uneducated in the matters which they seek to explore. As an Apostolic-Pentecostal minister who genuinely embraces the notion that a spiritual world does indeed exist, and that human existence does not cease when our lives here on earth do, it pains me to see so much misinformation being sent out over the airwaves. In an effort to then combat so much of this false representation of issues related to the supernatural and paranormal, I shall be posting some blogs which shall seek to address these matters from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. I hope that you will read them and take to heart that which you read. I am not going to approach this blog as an outright Bible Study as I want to disseminate this information as quickly and clearly as I can, for the benefit of all, believer and unbeliever alike.
There can be little doubt whatsoever from a Christian perspective that a spiritual world exists. The Old testament writings contain warnings that God’s people are not to have contact with or to employ anyone who engages in any form of witchcraft, divination, communication with the dead, or future sight (fortune telling/seeing into the future).
Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.
6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people. 7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God.
Jesus Christ cast out demons frequently during His earthly ministry.
And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.
And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God.
And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.
And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;
And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.
And they that were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed.
The apostles of Jesus Christ and the early Christian church did so as well.
And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.
The very first sign that the Lord said would accompany believers was that of “casting out devils.”
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
The Apostle Paul made it perfectly clear in his writings that the churches one and primary enemy is spiritual in nature and not at all flesh and blood.
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
II Corinthians 10:3-6
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
Many foolish Christians today no longer believe in the very real presence of an active spirit world. This is a very foolish way to live!
While there are many teachings and ideologies circulating about the spirit world and supernatural/paranormal, the truth of the matter quite simply is this:
1) ALL spirit beings are demonic in nature.
2) There is no such thing as a benevolent/good spirit.
3) The primary function of ALL spirit beings is to attack FAITH. They seek to bring doubt into the lives of those who already possess a faith in God, and they seek to prevent faith in God from ever being found by those who do not already believe.
4) It is very FOOLISH to attempt any kind of interaction with the spirit world if you are not approaching them from a position of faith and authority as established by the Lord Jesus Christ.
5) The ONE effective weapon that any human being has when dealing with spiritual beings or manifestations is THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. Salt, pentagrams, and foolishness of this sort will only serve to cause spirits to go into hiding or camouflage themselves for a time.
6) Spirits can leave and return. If they are made to leave and return at a later date, without the individual being vexed having received the baptism of the Holy Ghost in their lives,. They can and will be subject to a vexation that is far worse than the former.
7) Experimentation with tools of divination and witchcraft (Ouija boards, tarot cards, séances, etc) is the PRIMARY WAY that people make themselves available to demon spirits for vexation and/or possession.
8) Demon spirits will mimic or attempt to appear as some individual who once lived and/or died at a specific location. THEY ARE NOT THAT INDIVIDUAL. They are merely trying to make the occupant believe that they are, for in so doing they bring the Bible into question and make people believe that God’s Word is not valid or true.
9) Demon spirits will often give wrong answers or misinformation when they are questioned. They are not omnipresent (able to be more than one place at one time), so they literally have to operate with whatever knowledge they have at the moment. This is one reason why they frequently will not answer questions as they do not know the correct answers.
10) Demon spirits will “familiarize” or attach themselves to people and are thus able to learn all about that person through observation of their ENTIRE life! Demons do not have a life span equal to that of human beings. Each demon may have had an intimate knowledge of many different people throughout the past, thus they are able very cleverly to mimic and impersonate those people whom they have known and observed. MOST of the time, when a demon has attached itself to someone in this way, it is because that person has somehow invited the demon into their life through some means. Therefore, you can be sure that is a demon is manifesting itself as a “dead woman who once lived in this house” that the woman he is impersonating engaged in some activity which allowed this spirit to enter his/her life.
11) Demons are under no obligation whatsoever to heed the voice or will of any human being who is acting upon their own authority or power. They will only obey a command that is issued “in the name of Jesus Christ,” as such a command, in their hearing, is the very voice of their Creator Himself speaking to them. A person who attempts to use the name of Jesus Christ as a magic amulet, but does not genuinely embrace the Christian faith and acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord, will not only be ignored by the Spirit, but could also fall into harms way at the hands of the spirit.
13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. 14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
12) Anyone who may have willingly or unwittingly opened a door to demonic spirits through the employment of individuals who may have a familiar spirit working with them, or using tools of divination such as Ouija boards, tarot cards, etc) need to remove those people or objects from their person and burn any tools of divination which they may have used. You cannot simply throw these things away. They must be destroyed.
13) Secular psychics, seers, and mediums who genuinely posses a gift are operating under the influence and with the cooperation of a familiar spirit. They will often speak of guides, benevolent spirits, etc. Those who claim to have a gift which does not involve any spiritual entity whatsoever, are STILL operating under the influence of an entity, but in that instance, they may well be unaware that they are doing so and simply see their “gift” as a sixth sense of sorts. These spirits will tell them what they want the hearer to believe. This then is why a psychic can tell you exactly “who the person is” that appears to be “haunting” or vexing a place. The demons, working together, want people to believe that death is not the end, but that the Biblical promise of heaven or hell, judgment, following death is invalid and incorrect.
14) God does endow certain members within His church with a gift of the Holy Spirit, referred to by the Apostle Paul as “discernment of spirits.” THIS IS NOT A PSYCHIC GIFT! Discernment of spirits allows a believer to identify unclean, demon spirits. They are able to know when a spirit is present, and they are most often able to identify that spirit according to it’s intended purpose. Demons are denitrified, not by name, but by their function. A spirit that operates in an effort to cause great fear and anxiety may be called a “spirit of fear.” Spirits function for a vast variety of purposes and functions. Those functions include, but are not limited to: fear, pain, anxiety, lust, rape, murder, anger, suicide, depression, envy, etc… An individual with the gift of discernment will be able to call them out by name/function, WITHOUT THE SPIRIT’S HAVING TO SAY A WORD!
15) Jesus Christ spoke to demons because He was their creator and they were His creation. There was no danger in His doing so. Demons will sometimes seek to engage in conversation in an effort to distract, intimidate, level accusations, or to create fear/doubt. They do not want to have to leave a host. Therefore, it is imperative that anyone dealing with demons/unclean spirits NOT ATTEMPT to converse with them. You fall right into their trap when you do so. Command them to STOP SPEAKING, “in the name of Jesus Christ,” if they even attempt to begin doing so.
Demon spirits do not attach themselves to property or houses. They manifest themselves when they have found a potential human, flesh and blood host. Their objective is to stir up fear or curiosity, both of which can serve as motivation for one’s opening up the door so as to allow them access to their life. Again, I repeat, most people will seek out secular psychics or mediums to deal with such occurrences. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO! They simply will bring in their own spirits who will then work with the spirit(s) vexing you to ultimately gain access to your person.
I will in my next few blogs relative to this topic be sharing some personal experiences I have had with these matters as a means of illustrating what I have outlined here. Be advised, just because someone is a member of the “Christian clergy” does not mean that they possess the genuine faith and confidence in Jesus Christ necessary to deal with these types of issues. Many priests, for instance, read a prayer from a prayer book as though they were bored and wished they were somewhere else. Demonic spirits/unclean spirits know full and well when someone is addressing them with the full authority and power of the Lord Jesus Christ behind them. Most often, the presence of an individual who is genuinely full of the Holy Ghost (Spirit of God) will stir up and irritate a demon/unclean spirit. Although, on some occasions, they will actually seek to hide or camouflage themselves from one who is full of the presence and power of a risen Christ! If that individual has the gift of discernment, they will know that the spirits are attempting to do this.
If you have any issues or circumstances you would like to ask me about, please feel free to post your comments, or to message me directly at RevChasM@Yahoo.com